Broken bodies Illustrations of dissections in a series of original coloured plates, the size of life, representing the dissection of the human body. (1867) Anatomist: George Viner Ellis (1812-1900) Artist: George Henry Ford (1809-1876) All of the figures are drawn life-size from actual dissections and are printed in colors with… Read More »Interlude: Medical Visual
According to researchers at Virginia Tech, DNA is a lot more flexible than previously thought. Click to download the structural fluctuations of the Nucleosomal DNA movie (ZIP 61 MB) Virginia Tech researchers used novel methodology and the university’s System X supercomputer to carry out what is probably the first simulation… Read More »Dancing DNA
When I took Human Gross Anatomy I used a total of eight textbooks, flashcards, and anatomy resources on the internet to help drill all of the information into my head. But, the one book that I relied on and learned the most from was the Thieme (pronounced Tee-Ma) Atlas of… Read More »Spotlight: Karl Wesker
Excuse me, your exquisitely detailed skeleton is blocking my view of the rhinoceros. Albinus and Wandelaar are by far my favorite duo of anatomist and artist. When the Tabulae sceleti et musculorum corporis humani was published in 1747 there was a lot of controversy over the illustrations because of the… Read More »Interlude: Medical Visual
Over the past few years India has become a major player in the outsourcing of services from big businesses here in the U.S. In fact, the U.S. makes up about 70% of the global outsourcing market.1 (I’m guessing the U.K. makes up most of the other 30%). Animation is just… Read More »Outsourcing Medical Animation: Should we be worried?
Tsvetomir Georgiev is an incredibly talented computer graphic artist. At 22 years old he is already an accomplished 3D character modeler at Masthead Studios in Bulgaria. He says that sculpting helped him develop his skills in 3D computer modeling. Tsvetomir created these two striking anatomical images using 3D Studio Max, Z… Read More »Spotlight: Tsvetomir Georgiev
It looks as if the baby was just placed in the cross section. Supplement Table B (1872) Topographisch-anatomischer Atlas, nach Durchschnitten an gefrornen Cadavern (An atlas of topographical anatomy after plane sections of frozen bodies) Author: Wilhelm Braune (1831-1892) Artist: C. Schmiedel
Not many people realize the time and effort placed into producing an effective medical illustration. Medical students, doctors, and patients can study or just glance at a medical illustration and take away a copious amount of information. They’re focusing on the information in the image and that’s the intended purpose.… Read More »What Makes a Good Medical Illustration?
Dying to know what a topoisomerase looks like? Need to illustrate that p53 tumor suppressor initiating apoptosis? Then take a look at the molecular graphics program called PyMOL, by DeLano Scientific LLC. It produces high-quality molecular images and animations, so you can see your molecule of choice in real-time. It… Read More »Molecular Visualization: PyMOL
I recently became a football fan this season, which just happens to coincide with my hometown team, the Bears, doing exceptionally well. I love watching the game, especially now that I know the rules, the whole thing just makes more sense. But I also like to watch from an anatomical… Read More »Go Bears!
By now you’ve heard the hype surrounding the unveiling of Apple’s new iPhone. While it won’t be available until June, there is plenty of media coverage to make you salivate over this phone. Take a look at the video highlighting the many capabilities of the iPhone. Here’s the quick synopsis… Read More »Apple’s New iPhone: Medical Imaging Opportunities
Gives a whole new meaning to the term “still life.” Table 71 Ontleding des menschelyken lichaams (1690) Anatomist: Govard Bidloo (1649-1713) Artist: Gerard de Lairesse (1640-1711)
Let’s talk about what’s happening in the world of medical imaging, since it’s having such an impact on medical illustration. If you haven’t already heard of the groundbreaking image processing software, OsiriX, then please take a look the website and familiarize yourself. I suggest you jump immediately to the screenshots,… Read More »Osirix
I’m in the process of reading the wonderfully witty book by Mary Roach called Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Anyone who has had the opportunity to experience an anatomy lab should read this book. She gives a brief history of human anatomy and its most important contributors in… Read More »Vesalius: Anatomist not Artist
Meet the man behind The Inner Life of a Cell. John Liebler, lead medical animator for XVIVO, a scientific animation company based out of Connecticut. He has a background in Graphic Design/Illustration from the University of Connecticut. Although he does not have formal training as a medical illustrator, he relies… Read More »Spotlight: John Liebler