Last week’s post featuring Pamela Frantz’s “Brain Food” cupcakes was such a huge hit that she decided to create a step-by-step guide to making these bloody cupcakes. Best of all, she’s been kind enough to let me re-post her guide here on Street Anatomy! Check it out below.
1. Purchase a brain candy mold like this one here: www.confectioneryhouse.com/product.php?productid=1701&…
2. Find candy melts (often found at craft stores).
3. Melt 1-2 of the light color melts (this is pink + white).
4. With a gloved finger, rub some of the light color mix into the brain mold crevices. This step makes the brain look more realistic. If you skip this, your little brain will look more like a walnut or poo instead of a brain. Don’t go nuts with filling. The rest of the mold will be filled with darker color. This is just a THIN highlight.
5. Melt the candy melts. I ended up using these amounts to fill the 9 cavity mold: 20 pink, 12 blue, 4 brown. I recommend experimenting with small amounts first to test/find the right color (gray and unappealing).
6. Fill the molds. I kind of spoon it in. Don’t over fill because you’ll get messy edges. Fill to just under the top edge of the cavity.
7. TAP the mold on the counter to remove bubbles. Even if you tap your mold, you’ll probably end up with one or two in each batch with a bubble on the surface, but still tap-tap-tap-tap away to remove all you can.
8. Refrigerate about an hour and then pop out of the mold and you’ve got yourself some BRAINZ!